About 1015 Union Street
This 1,500 square foot two story single family home is a three bedroom, one and a half bath with a living room, dining room, basement located in Fort Wayne, IN 46802. The home is located in the desirable West Central Neighborhood and was built in 1910.
The home was last purchased from the city and was on it’s demo list for $500 and was used as a grow house for drugs, and the previous owner restored it from a cut up into a triplex. It was One unit on the bottom and two on the top. It had an influx of birds coming in from the attic and was completely destroyed. It was converted back into a single family home and won an ARCHie Award.
Acquiring 1015 Union St
Our neighbors, The Gumps (Rhonda and Bernie) have been restoring homes in West Central and have made amazing improvements to the neighborhood for years and were looking to downsize some of their properties. As the newcomers in the neighborhood, they were looking to pass on the torch. This home was purchased, along with others, in December of 2020 and will be rent ready in January of 2021.
Renovation, Budgeting and Timeline
After walking the property, Nate, our construction manager, Sasha and Anthony decided on a 20,000 budget and a 4-6 week turnaround time.
- 1 day Demo
- 3 days Hardware Removal
- 1 day Countertop Measuring
- 4 days Paint
- 4 days Paint
- 3 days tile
- 3 days Tile
- 2 days Flooring
- 1 day Countertops Install
- 3 days Finish Plumbing
- 6 days Finish Work
- 5 days Finish Work
- 1 day Carpet Cleaning
- 2 days Cleaning
Going for a modern but historic look we choose a neutral color pallet with modern fixtures.
We opted to keep the wood cabinets in the kitchens, and bathrooms but paint them white replace the countertops and sinks / faucets.
We removed upper cabinets, added vertical subway tile with black grout and reclaimed wood open shelving. Floors all have the same large format (12x24) gray tile with black grout.
We kept the same color wood flooring, and updated the walls with a white paint, rather than the existing cream.
All light fixtures were replaced with surface mount white, and black sconces or chandeliers where applicable.
All of the doors had the original handles and locks, so we removed them, had them sandblasted and painted black.